Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mother's memorable read


I knew my parents read books but I had never knew they would read the same books as me when I was in primary school and I still do.It was pure coincidence that I read the popular,world re known Star Wars novels which surrounds light sabres,star ships,aliens and clone troopers.I know this may sound unusual and moreover,strange,my mother reads them.She told me that it was common knowledge in all families that Star Wars are only catered to the needs of boys and burly man(I guessed your family had the same mentality)and it is not a good choice for gentle girls and women to read them.Well today,I stand for my point and changed this fact in my family:Star Wars are for humans of all ages,regardless of your gender.I have to admit,when I had asked my mother what she had read before,she mouthed 2 silent words,looking at me with be wilderness:Star Wars,I was shocked.I asked her the question one more time just to confirm and she was still firm with it.It was a wonderful fact that there was another Star Wars fan like me in the family.Why Star Wars,well,my mother said that she loved science fiction novels since a tender young age.She said these science fiction novels were extremely interesting and even helped give us the a glimpse of the humans' future reality and what actions would have an impact on us.She adores the action theme and cliffhangers endings of the Star Wars books and that was what drove her to read then till she was 14 years old.Although the Star Wars novels was a long forgotten,faded memory,she said it gave her an insight of the amazing things a novel can do on a human being and caused to have a certain passion for reading storybooks.Even though my mother has lost the habit of reading Star Wars novels,she said the novels she had read would always have a special place in her heart.I know this would be hard to believe but believe it.

Anyone believes about intergalactic star ships in the future?How about light sabres?

1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought that doing a simple blog on parental reading habits would reveal a "genetic" predisposition to science fiction?? A very interesting connection!!

    ReplyDelete